Sunday, February 05, 2012

Lyle & Doris Mayfield-In The 1950s

Lyle & Doris Mayfield-In The 1950s:
Buy the album here!!!

1. I'll Be Glad To Gather Up The Pieces (L. Mayfield): Lyle Mayfield-Lead Vocal, Recorded in 1954
2. My Grandfather's Clock (Traditional): Doris Mayfield-Lead Vocal, Recorded in 1955
3. Two Babes In The Woods (Tradtional): Lyle Mayfield-Lead Vocal, Recorded in 1955
4. I'll Be Glad To Gather Up The Pieces (L. Mayfield): Lyle Mayfield-Lead Vocal, Recorded in 1955
5. Nearer My God To Thee (Traditional): Instrumental, Recorded in 1955
6. Leave My Gal Alone (L. Mayfield): Lyle Mayfield-Lead Vocal, Recorded in 1956
7. My Little Girl's Music Box (L. Mayfield): Lyle Mayfield-Recitation, Recorded in 1957
8. Dora Lee (L. Mayfield): Lyle Mayfield-Lead Vocal, Recorded in 1957

Lyle & Doris Mayfield were married in 1950 and soon began performing together live and over the radio in Southern Illinois as the "Bond County Sweethearts". This collection is drawn from various recordings made by the Mayfields in the 1950s showcasing some of their early performances and songs. Please note that the recording quality varies from track to track as some of the recordings were made using acitate 78 rpm disks as well as open reel recordings. We have attempted to restore them as much as possible, but some imperfections still remain. We hope that you will enjoy this peek into some of the earliest recording made by Lyle & Doris Mayfield.

Selected Song Information:

1. I'll Be Glad To Gather Up The Pieces: "The oldest copyright I own. A "Dear John" letter can wreak havoc in a young man's life. He will do about anything to repair the damage...even write a song. Some of my friends consider it my best "country" ballad." Composed by Lyle Mayfield in 1948.

2. Leave My Gal Alone: "After Doris and I became engaged in 1949, a friend said in jest, "You'd better watch out. I might steal that gal from you." My answer to him was to write this song, not as much in jest as he was." Composed by Lyle Mayfield in 1949

3. My Little Girl's Music Box: "This recitation embodies the memories of a middle-aged father after his daughter has grown up and moved out. She left behind one of her most prized possessions...a music box." Composed by Lyle Mayfield in 1957

No comments: